Pages - Menu

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

{reading} Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

While I was reading, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingslover and family, I was very inspired. So much so, that I wanted to share that inspiration with others. Often times, my reading material would come up and I would be thinking to myself, “how great that I can share this inspiring book with others”. Without fail, every time, but once, the person on the other end of the conversation had already read the book. I realize that it was published in 2007, but my goodness. It got me thinking, am I five years behind on other things?

A quick google search of “trends 2007” calmed my nerves about this conundrum. I may be behind in my reading list, but at least my obliviousness let me skip these, “top” trends from the year this book was published.






No wait, that last one is happening now.

But, I digress. This book is a look at the life of one family who spent a whole year eating only what they could grow and raise or purchase from people they knew in their community. It is a concept that is top of mind for a lot of people (like me) who are starting to be more concerned with where their food comes from. I may be a few years behind, but better late than never, does apply to working towards eating more local food and being more aware. (It does not apply to the turban thing.)

If you are like me and missed this one in 2007, here is the synopsis from the author in case I have utterly confused you with images of The Donald.

"This is the story of a year in which we made every attempt to feed ourselves animals and vegetables whose provenance we really knew . . . and of how our family was changed by our first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where we worked, went to school, loved our neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air."

No comments:

Post a Comment