Pages - Menu

Sunday, February 5, 2012

the empress



My foodie acquaintances rave over The Empress (2043 West Broad St). It is always on my list, but amazingly my recent visit was the first time I made it there.

I had watched their youtube video and am fascinated that 90% of their menu is gluten free. I am not gluten intolerant, but know people who have challenges eating this way and I don’t mind eliminating some gluten for good measure.

I had their famous Bacon Wrapped Dates and they lived up to the hype. What is a date anyway? Is it a fruit? I would prefer if I could consider it a vegetable, but whatever it is, it is delicious wrapped in bacon and topped with a gorgonzola honey sauce.

Evan had the Cured Salmon that was very tasty. Is cured salmon better for you than smoked salmon? It is probably the same.

Dining at The Empress, sure makes you think.

I adore their cocktail menu and sampled the Spiked Apple Cider and the Raspberry Mint Sake Martini. Both were delicious and appropriate for the occasion (end of a very stressful day).

The Empress also has a great selection of Dairy Free, Vegetarian and Vegan options. You have to be an incredibly talented chef to make food taste this good with this many restrictions. That must be why the foodies love Chef Carly.

2 comments:

  1. Carly is no longer the chef there, as of late last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef Carly Herring is depicted in the video that was posted on January 21, 2012 and is the person that the foodies are always talking about. That is my mistake if she is no longer the Chef there. Bummer.

      Delete