Pages - Menu

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

millies

My final Richmond Restaurant Week dining adventure was with a good friend who is also in the restaurant biz. We went to Millies Diner (2603 E Main St) which just happens to be the first restaurant I had ever been to in Richmond, long before I ever thought I would live here.

Millies does not accept reservations and is known for having a wait, but I figured in a worst case scenario my friend and I would pre-game with wine on the sidewalk. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), there were two spots at the bar and we were seated right away.

In addition to the Restaurant Week Menu, they were offering a mix and match wine flight. You could pick three wines to accompany your courses from the categories of sparkling, white, red and dessert. We decided we would each order a fully Cabernet to sip while we ordered and then each picked three to go with our meal.

For my first course, I had the stuffed pear salad with a glass of bubbly, a perfect pairing if I do say so myself. It was a half of a pear with whipped mascarpone and a frisee salad with honey lavender vinaigrette.

Second course was Porchetta, something completely unfamiliar to me, pork belly on the outside, sausage on the inside with pasta and sambuca-tomato sauce. That went with my pinot noir.

At this point in the meal, I was stuffed. But that is the thing about restaurant week, you still MUST order dessert. I rallied and had the Cinnamon Apple Spring Rolls and a bite (or three) of my friend’s Whiskey Kissed Chocolate Mousse along with a glass of Moscat.

When you commit to something like restaurant week, you can’t back down. I am very happy to report that every restaurant knocked it out of the park for me this week. I am glad for a little break of binging, but am looking forward to another food frenzied Richmond Restaurant Week in the Fall. It is already marked on my calendar, October 22 through 28.
Millie's Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment