Pages - Menu

Thursday, February 14, 2013

the americano – new york

Typically, the Sunday after my brother’s show we have a recovery brunch and typically, I am so hungover I feel like I might die, but this trip to New York Fashion Week was not typical. Instead of getting hammered at the after party and falling down in front of celebrity strangers and friends, I kept things sober and politely mingled. Lame, I know.

That meant that when it came to brunch, I had some catching up to do. “Bring on the mimosas and don’t be shy with the extras!” is what I was thinking when the cocktail menu was set in front of me at The Americano (Chelsea, New York).

The beverage listed at the very top, was something too good to be true. It was a Detox Belini, made with Wheat Grass, Celery Juice, Apple Juice and of course Bubbly. The person who thought this up must have been recently vegan. That is the only explanation for putting booze in something that really should not be boozy.

When the drinks were delivered, mine stood out from the rest. It was bright green, fizzing, and filled to the rim of the champagne flute. I have been drinking green juice for several weeks now, so I was not shy about taking a big gulp of the green effervescence.

It was absolutely……disgusting. Undrinkable. How dare they do such a thing to my beloved bubbles? I have never left a glass of sparkling un-drunk unless I was passed out for the evening, but I could not get it down. I had to order a green smoothie just to wash the taste out of my mouth. It is a sad, sad day when a green smoothie wins out over boozy brunch drink.

There are plenty of things to mix with Champagne, but wheat grass is not one of them. What are you favorites?

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha oh no!!! That's sad that the wheat grass was gross!!! I was SO hoping you'd say it was delicious so we could recreate it at home!

    ReplyDelete